Sunday, June 29, 2008

Wimbledon

Yeah, I went there. It’s a kind of Mecca for classy people with lots of money, sharp brand-name blazers and sweater-vests, and a very refined sense of entertainment.

…Well, then there’s me. I have neither money nor a sweater vest. But I do find tennis very entertaining.

My friend was able to get free grounds passes for my roommate and me. Grounds passes allow you access to all courts except two: No.1 Court and Centre Court. Which of course is where the really famous people play. People like Roger Federer and Ana Ivanovic. It’s been my dream to watch one of Federer’s matches on Centre Court, but alas, I can’t afford the £195 tickets. I suppose I’ll just have to be content with having walked on the grounds where he has been.

I did get to watch a very good match, however, between Fernando Verdasco and Olivier Rochus. Verdasco is ranked #22 in the Wimbledon lineup, so he’s quite good. And I feel a sort of connection with him because he’s left-handed (we lefties have to stick together). The match was excellent. Both men played very well, but Verdasco seemed to have more control and use less effort. Rochus made the ever-popular “tennis grunt” every time he hit the ball, while Verdasco remained mostly silent on his shots. In the end Verdasco was the victor: 7-6, 6-7, 6-1, 6-1. Great match.

After the match we ran around the grounds taking pictures and purchasing ridiculously-priced food and souvenirs. Like I said, Wimbledon is a place for people with lots of money. But it was definitely the highlight of my week.

No comments: