Saturday, June 21, 2008

Bus Tour


I'll admit, I wasn't too keen on the idea. Spend my Saturday morning on an open-top, double-decker bus riding around London? That's what old people do. All I need now are my bermuda shorts and straw hat.

We walked outside to get on the bus this morning, and it was raining. Jessi and I decided we didn't care (along with several other members of our group) and headed for the open top deck. We could take better pictures from up there. Or so I thought.

As soon as we started going, I realized it was going to be more difficult than I thought to get the pictures I wanted. Everyone else was trying to get the same pictures I was hoping to get, so their cameras, heads, and arms were constantly in my shots. And the bus just kept moving. We only made one stop, at the Tower of London, where we were allowed to get out and look around for about 15 minutes. But the rest of the time we were just zooming through the streets, and I was frantically trying to snap pictures of all the major landmarks before they were obstructed by trees or street light poles.

We stopped for lunch at a swanky bar and club called Sugar Reef. It was quite good. After lunch we were supposed to continue on the tour, but Jessi and I opted to go back to the Tower of London and tour the inside. 

We went on a great tour of the grounds inside, gawked at the sparkling crown jewels, learned all sorts of fascinating things about the history of the fortress, and were reprimanded by our tour guide because, as he put it, "If you Americans had paid your taxes, this could have been YOUR history, too." Oh well.

I took about 100 pictures today. Not many of them are worth posting. I did my best.

1 comment:

austinmcraig said...

So, have you gotten the bermuda shorts and the straw hat yet?