Monday, June 16, 2008

Navigation

I love new places. Especially when I have time to explore. I'm glad I didn't have to start work today, because (a) I'm still getting over jet lag, and (b) I had extra time to roam the city.

Yesterday afternoon my roommate Jessi and I decided to test out the Tube (London's subway system). We rode it a few stops over to Regent's Park and spent much of the afternoon wandering around. It's beautiful. It reminded me of Central Park in Manhattan. Lots of open space and VERY crowded on a Sunday afternoon. I was just excited to see grass again. I'd been in London for less than 24 hours and already I was missing the trees and grass. I think I'll be spending a lot more time in Regent's park.


Instead of taking the Tube back to our dorm, we opted to walk. I'll be honest, crossing the street here scares me. I always have to remind myself which direction the cars are coming from. If it weren't for the instructions painted on the pavement in front of every crosswalk, I probably would have been flattened somewhere along Euston Street by now.

Today I took the Tube to the EuroNews office, just to make sure I know how to get there tomorrow morning. It only took me 20 minutes, and I was about to turn around and just go home. Then I remembered something..."Kellie, you're in LONDON, for heaven's sake!" So I changed my course and headed toward Hyde Park and Buckingham Palace.

The palace was amazing. Green Park was lovely. The shops were great. And then I realized I forgot my camera. Rats.

2 comments:

austinmcraig said...

Get a camera. Post pictures. Look both ways when crossing the street.

Katie said...

KELLI!! I had no idea you were interning in London! that is so fun. I was just there last week and loved it. too bad i just missed you. I was thinking I would see you when I head up to Utah today, but apparently you are on the other side of the world. enjoy it! when do you come back?