Saturday, June 21, 2008

STOMP


Last night was Friday night, and as such, my roommate and I felt a compelling need to plan something fun. So that afternoon when I got off work I ran over to Leicester Square (pronounced LESS-ter...why all the extra letters? Couldn't say. Probably the same reason that Worchestershire has all those extra letters.)

Leicester Square is at the heart of the theatre district. It also happens to be about two minutes' stroll from where I work on St. Martin's Lane. In the middle of Leicester Square there is a ticket booth that sells tickets for many of the theatre shows at half-price. Which is great when you are a poor starving college student working 40 hours a week and not getting paid for any of it. The only catch is that you have to buy them on the day of the show. I wanted to see Stomp, and it was on sale at the half-price ticket booth for, well, half price. So instead of paying £45 per ticket I paid £22.50 (plus a £2.50 service charge, but still...) And that was for seats that were eight rows back from the front on the side with a clear view of the stage. Not bad, if you ask me.

So that night Jessi and I went to see the show. I'll just tell you right now, if you ever get a chance to see it, DO IT! I loved it.

Stomp is a percussion ensemble made up of eight or nine people. They perform several numbers clapping, snapping, and hammering out rhythms on just about anything you can imagine...INCLUDING the kitchen sink. They use everything from trash cans to Altoids boxes to newspapers to water jugs to toilet plungers...and yes, there was a number that four of the members performed with kitchen sinks full of water strung around their necks. Not only are the rhythms and audio ensemble incredible, but the visual aspect is mesmerizing as well. They move around the stage and interact with each other while still keeping the beat and acting natural.

There's also a brilliant comedic element to the show, and it's achieved only through actions and facial expressions. There is no verbal conversation in the whole performance. In fact, aside from the occasional shout or mumbling in gibberish during part of the show, there are no words at all. But each performer has a distinct character, developed entirely through his or her interactions with the others in the group, as well as with the audience. The performers responded to laughter in the audience, and even led us in some call-response numbers. One of the performers would step out in front and clap/snap/stomp, and we would imitate his rhythm, while the other performers drummed out an accompaniment with various...instruments (like 50-gallon plastic drums and large metal buckets.)

I've wanted to see this show for years, and all I'm trying to say is that it was TOTALLY WORTH IT!

1 comment:

austinmcraig said...

STOMP is one of the few shows I've said I would pay a significant amount of money to see, and now that decision is resolved. Next chance I get.