Sunday, June 29, 2008

English Pub (from an American Perspective)

Until Thursday night I had never been to one. But when my boss suggested that we all leave work an hour early for drinks, I wasn't going to say no.

Pubs are where English people socialize. They go with friends and meet new people, everyone buys drinks for everyone, and they stay for hours. We left the office at 4:30 that afternoon, and I didn't get back to my dorm until 10:30 that night. Good times.

I went with my boss and a few people from the office. It was nice to get to know them outside of their jobs. They asked me several times during the course of the night if I was having a good time. I guess they thought I wasn't because I wasn't drinking beer. But I did have a great time, and I enjoyed my Sprite.

The guys from the office introduced me to some of their friends, we watched the Spain-Russia football game together with everyone else in the pub, and celebrated when Spain won.

It was a great insight into everyday British life. I had fun, even though I wasn't drunk. I might even go back sometime, just for the social interaction.

2 comments:

austinmcraig said...

For the American equivalent, the guy in the office next to mine has margueritas every Friday, and there are two cases of beer in my office from the previous interns. I haven't told anybody I don't drink yet, but I think they're wise to my game. And if any of them know my Alma Mater, the the cats out of the bag already.

Kellie said...

Yeah, over here no one knows what BYU is. Well, except for the people in my singles ward.