Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Eight hours in Brussels

I spent Monday in Brussels (Belgium). Well, eight hours, to be precise...and six of those were spent in a meeting.

It was my first time riding a train. That was exciting.
I was there with my boss and my project manager for a Comment:Visions event. It was a panel discussion, and the topic being addressed was climate change and the effect it will have on everday lifestyle. Interesting debate. On the one hand you have political measures (i.e. raising taxes on carbon and subsidizing taxes on other forms of energy), but you also have new technologies (electric and solar-powered cars, for instance). And of course there are the lifestyle changes that we as individuals can make.

I think my default reaction to the problem of climate change is to just throw my hands up in the air and say, "There's nothing we can do." But after listening to over 90 educated and innovative thinkers at this event, I'm beginning to see possible ways to reduce our energy consumption. I guess that's what I get for being put in charge of getting experts' opinions on how to address the energy crisis.

The meeting was successful. We had a good time socializing afterward. And then we got back on the train to come home.

Regrettably, I didn't get a chance to try any Belgian chocolates. Or waffles.

1 comment:

Dan said...

You've probably already seen this, but I think this is an interesting way to look at the choices people make...http://www.autobloggreen.com/tag/hybrid+vs+used/