Thursday, August 14, 2008

Culture Shock?

I've been back in the US for four days now. And there are some things I've noticed:

- Utah has a distinct smell. I walked outside on my first day home and took a deep breath, and I noticed I wasn't inhaling cigarette smoke and exhaust from busses.
- My apartment has a distinct smell, too. (Rest assured, it's not a nasty smell.)
- People look at you funny when you say "toilets" instead of "restrooms"
- Not everyone wants to see every one of the hundreds of photographs I've taken in the past two months.
- There are trash cans here. Everywhere!
- There are drinking fountains here.
- Even though I never drove in London, it feels weird to drive on the right-hand side of the road now.
- Public transportation is a somewhat under-emphasized issue here.
- I walk at a very fast pace now.
- Corn and potatoes are not part of every meal.
- I can find peanut butter at the grocery store.
- American chocolate is nasty.
- American yogurt is watery.
- My clothes actually feel dry when I walk outside.
- I have air conditioning!

2 comments:

Matt Nielsen said...

"There are trash cans here. Everywhere!"

And yet people still litter. Sad.

Well, I'm glad you can see the good and the bad in both countries. Both sides could use improvements in certain places.

By the way, that lack of cigarette smoke smell is only unique to Utah.

Brady White said...

Can I buy you a lemonade?