Wednesday, August 6, 2008

"Congratulations, ladies, you survived your first London skate."

Barely.

My sister an I strapped on rollerblades and joined 200 other skaters for a planned 10.9-mile skate around the city. We started at Hyde Park Corner, skated down and around Piccadilly Circus and on down to Trafalgar Square, then right past the houses of Parliament and Westminster Abbey. All while traffic stopped for us and people lined the streets and took pictures of us and cheered as though we were running a marathon. Quite the experience.

Lauren and I spent most of our time at the back, being coaxed by the rear marshals who were constantly urging us to pick up the pace or drop out of the group. I took a couple spills, Lauren ran into a car, and we both had to be coached in the fine art of stopping...

Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunate for us), it started raining and the skate was cut short because the roads were too slippery.

It was so much fun. I think that's the best thing I've done here in London. But I think when I get home, I'm going to go rollerblading and practice my stopping.

1 comment:

Dan said...

That sounds so cool! We kinda did the same thing with bikes around provo. The scenery wasnt as exotic, the pace was pretty chill, and the group was only about 20, but we got alot of the same reactions I'm sure.